As I begin showing my pieces, working with boutiques, galleries and online venues it is becoming increasingly important to manage my inventory, its history and my clients. I have an excel workbook but it is falling short. A full database from scratch would be a lot of work. Is there a quick solution that will make my life easier? There must be.
After looking around at a couple of pieces of software and their features I believe my key features are:
- Images associated with each record. This is where excel falls short.
- Import and export functionality. I have 105 items in my inventory and no import functionality is a non-starter.
- Report features. I need to be able to create inventory lists for clients and galleries easily. I’d also like to be able to see sales trends.
- Intuitive layout. The location and flow of data should make it easy to see all you care about quickly.
- Sales and client management. Sales should be linked to clients and clients and potential clients should be able to be managed as well.
- Looks. It’s 2013 the program should look good so I don’t feel like I’m regressing into the 90’s every time I manage my business. I’m an artist after all – look and feel is important to me.
Wish me luck! My findings will follow in the next post!