As I alluded to a couple of weeks ago I’ve had my head down for several weeks coding up a tool for artists. The driving force behind this project was to streamline my own business management but having started the project and seen its potential I now believe many could benefit from it.
At this point I’d like to learn more about other artists to confirm my own pain points are widespread and that I build a tool general enough to help many. The tool will focus on inventory management and value, include management of venues and clients, and track movement of works across them. This data will allow for insightful reports to better appreciate how works sell best. But the true icing on the cake is a seamless interface with a public facing site that promotes the artist and their work.
Artists, have 10 minutes and want to provide insights? Please fill out this survey!
Below is a draft of questions. The first two sections of questions focus on the artist and their online presence. The point of both of these is to appreciate the maturity of the artist’s career and how technologically focused their business is. They will put context around the heart of the interview – the artist’s business.
- What is your primary medium?
- Have you spent time with other mediums?
- How long have you been working in your primary medium?
- About how many pieces have you created?
- How many pieces are available today (could be sold)?
- Do you have a website?
- What is the purpose of your website (e.g. Do you sell art through it? Does it list where and when your work is showing? Does it give a path for followers to contact you or join a mailing list?).
- What proportion of your works are shown online?
- What social media sites do you use to promote your work?
- How long have you been selling works?
- Do you sell works through galleries, shops, booths, open studios or online? Which sells the most?
- Do you currently use any software to manage your inventory, venues or clients? If yes…
- What fractions of all of your works are cataloged?
- Does this software manage associated expenses and income?
- Does this software include photos?
- Does this software manage the location and status of each work?
- Does this software manage venues and clients?
- What do you like best about the software?
- What do you wish was included in the software?
- What part of the business do you spend the most time on (excluding creation of art)? Do you know of any existing tools that may streamline this?
- Do you send newsletters via email or mail? (If so how many a year?)
- What other things not yet mentioned do you use to sell your work?
- How do you most often collect new fans/clients?
If you are an artist and would like to offer your time for an interview I would love to hear from you! If you know of an artist that would donate some of their time please pass along their contact information or point them to this survey!